Alternative firmware (for almost all models)

Ryogo

Port of a firmware from other device.

I'm not responsible for any kind of potential damage to your device.

Version: 1.03.4140

URL:
Um den Link zu sehen, bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren

Supported devices:

- Nook Glowlight Plus;

- Nook Glowlight 3;

- Tolino Shine 2 HD (4A2 / 4A3);

- Tolino Shine 3;

- Tolino Vision 3 HD;

- Tolino Vision 4 HD;

Installation:

- install (using TWRP);

- (when coming from other firmware) reset to factory defaults; // Wipe > Swipe to Factory Reset

- clear dalvik-cache;

Features:

- better stability (compared to stock fw);

- convenient status-bar;

Changes (against original firmware):

- slimmed down the firmware by removing all trash;

- pre-installed
;

- device-specific adaptation;

Changes (1.02.4140):

- added: buttons config for Nook Glowlight 3;

- fixed: screen redraw issue in some apps (CoolReader, AlReader, FBReader, etc);

Changes (1.03.4140):

- fixed: disabled wi-fi auto switch-off after 10 minutes;

- added: file manager -

- added: support for new devices - Tolino Shine 2 HD (4A2), Tolino Vision 3 HD, Tolino Vision 4 HD;

Screenshot:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Notes:

If you your wi-fi connection is unstable try to disabled "Wi-Fi optimization" (Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced).

From author:

The only firmware that does not freezes completely in my usage scenario.

Has feature not found in any other firmware - ability to adjust screen contrast.

Has a dedicated button for screen refresh in status-bar.

Looking for testers:

- Tolino Vision;

- Tolino Vision 2;

- Tolino Vision 5;

- Tolino Epos;

- Tolino Epos 2;

- Tolino Page 2;

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:

Gerhard Böse

Ich habe es auf meinem Shine 3 mit 1 GB Data Partition nicht zum Laufen gebracht.

Es bootet, zeigt kurz den Launcher und macht dann weiter mit den 3 Boot Punkten .......

Und wenn ich unterbreche und neu starte, dann bleibt ... und nichts kommt mehr

Gerhard Böse

Can you provide more info maybe?
I have to setup calibre companion, and when trying to go deeper everything is mixed, so i cannot se anything.

The screen of the higher level doesnot vanish and so the letters are mixed. I cannot explain it better.

When trying to open the available android, I could see, that starting with Firmware Version 11 the refresh moved from OS into the Tolino App. Therefore I decided not to use a launcher and to move between apps with OneToucher.

With FW 13, the "back/home" swyper moved into the Tolino app - which must run. These are the problems with Tolino Android.

Gerhard Böse

Im not sure if it is a refresh problem. Perhaps this helps:

Shine3:

When selecting

P1010087.jpg

The result is

P1010088.jpg

This looks like the old screen is not cleared before the new sreen is shown and the new screen is a mixture from old and new.

And when going deeper, the next screen is merged too.

"Back" clears only the last.

Screen refresh doesnt help.

This happens in every app which i have tested, when i must go deeper (one level down in setup), AlReader, Onleihe App, Total Commander, ....

And it doesnt work together with sleep cover.

Ryogo

We'll see, maybe I'll be able to do something about it.

At least, I was going to try to change that "refresh button" to use some other refresh mode.

Gerhard Böse

Hi Ryogo,

I could setup Calibre Companion, but WLan closed after a short time (Shine3) - so i couldnt get books from Calibre.

- can you put A2 Mode into the Firmware?

Regards

Ryogo

I don't have the source code, so I can't really do much. I could, theoretically enable fast refresh mode by default, but I don't think that would be a good idea because it would make text in readers look worse. And if we are talking about being able to switch b/w modes by your own choice - then it's not something easily done without source code.

I may try to develop a companion xposed module for firmware (like that one I tried to do for Nooks) some time later and add that faster refresh mode switch there, but this is a really long shot.

For now I just to fix that issue with CoolReader/FBReader/AlReader/Calibre.

Gerhard Böse

Hi Ryogo,

can you imagine a possibility to change the partition size of the waterproof Tolinos (that with built in flash)?

The Data partition with app 500 MB is really small and on my Shines an on Page2 i have changed it to 1 GB.

Regards

Gerhard Böse

Hi Ryogo,

What do you think about forgetting Android 4.4.2, because the Tolino troubles started at this point (screen refresh, aso).

Concentrate on Tolino Android 4.0.4 - this worked fine.

Regards

Ryogo

Hi Ryogo,

What do you think about forgetting Android 4.4.2, because the Tolino troubles started at this point (screen refresh, aso).

Concentrate on Tolino Android 4.0.4 - this worked fine.

Regards
I'm not a fan of 4.0.4 myself. I do not see any advantages of 4.0.4 over 4.4 (at least, in my usage cases).

Many apps already dropped support of 4.0.4 which is a big issue.

Also, 4.4 works across all devices (nook, tolino, boyue, inkbook) and 4.0.4 works only on tolino (and only a handful of device models).

Gerhard Böse

I'm not a fan of 4.0.4 myself. I do not see any advantages of 4.0.4 over 4.4 (at least, in my usage cases).

Many apps already dropped support of 4.0.4 which is a big issue.

Also, 4.4 works across all devices (nook, tolino, boyue, inkbook) and 4.0.4 works only on tolino (and only a handful of device models).
In Tolino Android 4.0.4 the level down und up is working correct. In Android 4.4.2 not.

Whe the Tolino App is running and you want to go up, you donot see anything (when going back) till the first level is reached.

In Android 4.0.4 you can see every level

And "back" (swiping from ground up) works only with running Tolino App

Gerhard Böse

I've updated the firmware, described issue should be fixed now.
This works fine. But WiFi turns off after a certain time independent of WiFi-setup and this is really bad when trying to transfer a lot of ebooks from Calibre to the reader and you would need 4 hours.

Oben